APPLYING FOR FREE SCHOOL MEALS
Free school meals claims should be made by parent or carer using the Family Portal at: School Meals
Our meals are served in our school diner which is a bright, warm and healthy environment. A varied and healthy menu of hot and cold meals is served which we are confident will promote the health and well being of our students. We are conscious that healthy meals also ensure that students are able to study to best effect.
The school has a food policy to ensure that all aspects of food and nutrition in school promote health and wellbeing of pupils, staff and visitors to our school.
To ensure that all aspects of food and nutrition in school promote health and wellbeing of pupils, staff and visitors to our school.
Objectives: What do we want to achieve?
• Review formal curriculum to ensure information relating to food and nutrition in different lesson areas in consistent and up-to-date.
• Work with the school caterer to trial a healthy breakfast club, serving a limited range of items.
• Establish a food week in school to promote healthy eating and drinking messages.
• Ensure that the vending machine has a variety of drinks available, e.g. water and fruit juice to promote healthier eating and drinking.
• Pilot an after school healthier cookery club.
• Ensure that the teacher with responsibility for food has basic food hygiene training.
Guidelines : How are we going to meet our objectives?
• Discuss at School Council. Set up a sub-group, a School Nutrition Action Group, to monitor change.
• Formal curriculum: Set up cross-curricular working group to audit food based topics at each key stage.
• Breakfast: Work with caterer on a menu of breakfast options and a reasonable cost. Publicise club in form time and school newsletter, plus through poster advertising in the corridors.
• Food week: Run the Sainsbury's Taste of Success Food Awards in school during D&T week in June.
• Vending: Inform supplier that a range of drink choices must be made available, or terminate contract.
• Extra-curricular: Establish an after school cookery club.
• CPD: Send teacher in charge of food on 1-day basic food hygiene course.